Sunday 15 May 2016

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Letting Go


I think it was around the release of The Letting Go that I first heard Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - the first Will Oldham record I bought was a 7" single of Cold & Wet from this album - but it would be years before I heard the rest of the LP. I have vague memories of the album getting a lot of praise around that time and I can see why; of the albums of his I know it's one of the stronger ones.

I've got a scattering of Will Oldham records from various points in his career and some of them have a tendency to underwhelm. The Letting Go however has great songs throughout - Love Comes to MeWaiCursed SleepLay and Love, and The Seedling are all great. Of those songs, The Seedling and Cursed Sleep are both the biggest highlights of the album and between them show both Oldham's dark and light sides. I knew a few of the songs here from the Is It the Sea? live album, which is another of his stronger releases and probably the best introduction to his music.

I paid £12 for this LP at the Independent Label Market, which is bargain as far as vinyl goes these days. It didn't come with a download code which means I haven't listened to it quite as much as I otherwise would have. However, that's quite a nice thing, because I do forget quite how much I like it between listens.

Format: 12", picture sleeve, insert
Tracks: 12
Cost: £12 new
Bought: Independent Label Market
When: 13/07/13
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no