Sunday 31 August 2014

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Cold & Wet


This 7" truly acted as a sampler of Bonnie 'Prince' Billy for me. I'd heard a song of his on 120 Minutes late night on MTV and shortly later found this 7" in HMV in Lancaster. I'd enjoyed the song I saw on MTV and made a mental note to check him out; it seemed like too much of a coincidence that this 7" would be there so soon afterwards, so I bought it and began a journey of discovering his vast back-catalogue (something I'm still working on). Five days later I was in Brighton and decided to buy an album, opting for his classic I See a Darkness by complete chance (perhaps the title drew me in). It's almost worrying that I might have easily bought Sings Palace's Greatest Hits instead and had a far worse third impression of Will Oldham's music.

Cold and Wet is from his most recent album at the time, The Letting Go, which received some pretty high praise at the time. I've fairly recently bought The Letting Go and it is a pretty great record. Buried Treasure is a live BBC recording of, what I have just this minute discovered, a Bee Gees song. Needless to say, it sounds nothing like The Bee Gees, but does sound excellent. It says a lot about Will Oldham that he can make like a Bee Gees song without me knowing.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £2 new
Bought: HMV Lancaster
When: 20/11/06
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no