Monday 19 August 2013

Dub War - Pain


It's Dub War Week on These LPs! For those who aren't familiar with Dub War, they were one of the finest bands to come out of Newport although, if this is the first time you've ever heard of them, you may not believe me. This record, their debut, came out in 1995 and, whilst I still think it's pretty awesome, I can see how without the fond memories I have of it, Pain might sound a bit dated. Not to mention that nu-metal really ruined the ragga-metal scene for everyone.

I first heard Dub War when I was 16. I can't remember the date, but the location was definitely my friend Tom's house. Long before we were old enough to go to the pub, we'd spend Friday nights sat in Tom's room listening to records and drinking beers if we'd been able to get any. The biggest discovery in that time was Dub War. Tom watched a lot of skateboarding and BMX videos and one of them at some point contained a Dub War song. I'm pretty sure it was Strike It, but that doesn't matter; Tom sought out their albums and we all got into them. I particularly remember listening to their remix album Step Ta Dis and hearing genres that I'd never usually let pass my ears. It was a pretty cool experience.

I can't imagine a better time to first hear Dub War than being a teenager at the turn of the millennium. Dub War were fresh and exciting, despite this album already being five years. I'd never really listened to much ragga/reggae (it'd be two years until I finally heard Bad Brains), but the metal Dub War were mixing it with was reminiscent of the other British metal bands we were into, like Pitchshifter and Therapy? Most of all, we were too young to ever think it was cliché, so it never was.

Not content with copying Tom's cds, I picked up Dub War's albums myself and found a copy of Pain on cd (along with a bonus cd called Extra Pain, and someone's ticket stub from when Dub War played with Skunk Anansie) in the market in Lancaster. I'd been up there for the university's open day and had enough time to find a second-hand record stall in the market before the day was out. I think finding Pain (along with the 12" of the Manic's Roses in the Hospital, and this Jane's Addiction picture disc) helped solidify my choice of Lancaster University, although the record stall had sadly closed by the time I actually got there. A year and a half later I found this copy of the LP (minus the sticker sheet) on eBay for a reasonable £7.53 (I often add an extra 3p to have the edge over other bidders - I can't count how many times that's worked in my favour!).

Back in April this year, I was out and the sun was shinning and Pain came up on my mp3 player. I hadn't listened to it for years at this point, but I found myself still loving it, so much so I even text my friend in excitement. The album is packed with classics, like Nar Say a TingStrike It, Respected and Gorrit. My favourite might well be the title-track though, for how huge the chorus sound when Benji properly sings. In fact, the whole middle section of the album is incredible. And the closer Over Now is huge. Good times.

Anyway, stay tuned this week for more Dub War thoughts and stories.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 12
Cost: £7.53 second-hand
Bought: eBay
When: 06/11/03
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "Stubbs!...." Side B: "...Keep your mouth shut"
mp3s: no