Wednesday 11 July 2012

Jane's Addiction - Classic Girl


Jane's Addiction were one of those bands I got into when I first started listening to music. Their name and albums appeared in various lists in magazines and I'd seen the video for Jane Says on tv and thought it was great. I became a big fan and had a great time when they played Reading Festival in 2002 (only to be annoyed when they cancelled their Reading 2011 performance at the very last minute).

When I was looking at universities I always made sure I had some time to spare in the day to check out the local record shops. Lancaster was a long way from Winchester but I managed to find an hour at the end of the day to get into town and see what there was. I got off the bus by the market, strolled in and immediately stumbled across this stall with boxes of awesome records. I picked up a small handful of records, including this one, and solidified my decision that Lancaster would be my first choice of uni. Of course the market stall closed down just before I started university, but I still had a great time (possibly due to the extra cash I had from not blowing my loan on rare records).

Classic Girl is a great JA song, but the picture disc probably played a part in why I bought this that day. The cover of Ritual de lo Habitual is great and looks awesome on the record. Part of me thinks they should have adjusted where the center was slightly to have the hole in the record in a more comical place, but that's just me being juvenile. Never a band for b-sides, the two extra songs are live cuts from Ritual that appeared again in various places. The end of Ain't No Right features Perry's classic Birkenstock rant. For no reason other than Perry Farrell's dislike I've always been against Birkenstocks, even though I hear they're very comfortable.

Much like the Pumpkins picture disc from the other day, not a necessary record by a long shot, but a very nice one for the collection nonetheless.


Format: 12" picture disc, die cut sleeve
Tracks: 3
Cost: £6 second hand
Bought: Lancaster Market record stall
When: 19/02/03
Colour: Picture disc
Etching: none
mp3s: no