Thursday 23 May 2013

Hark - Mythopoeia


Like most people (or so I imagine), I started listening to Hark because of Taint. Taint were one of my favourite bands when I lived in South Wales and I ranted about them even more when I wrote about their final EP All Bees to the Sea a year ago. They sadly called it a day and I very nearly crashed my car driving through the snow to get to their last show. It was worth it though.

So I was pleased when the news came out that Jimbob was forming a new band, and even more pleased when I listened to them. Hark follow on from what Taint were doing nicely. It can't be easy to have everyone compare your work to that of another band (which I realise I'm doing myself), but these two songs are brilliant in their own right - heavy, riffy sludge. Sins on Sleeves gets bonus points for it's extra-slow outro and use of the phrase "Ne'r do wells".

I got the 7" from my brother for my birthday (who listened to the songs online and also agreed they were great. This is noteworthy because our tastes in music rarely overlap) and the packaging is pretty nice too - a kind of cardboard envelope hand-screened by Jimbob and numbered (160/300).

I think Hark have played London twice since they've been a band (at least two times that I know about) and I missed them both times. One of those times was with Clutch but I was on holiday. I can't remember when the other was, but I'm pretty sure I must have had a good reason to have not been there. Reports I heard from their first Cardiff show were glowing to say the least. In good news, they apparently have an album coming out soon, which is great because these songs will only quench my thirst for so long.


Format: 7", envelope sleeve, insert, numbered (160/300)
Tracks: 2
Cost: £0 new
Bought: gift
When: 03/11/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no