Tuesday 24 April 2012

Taint - All Bees to the Sea



Taint were possibly my favourite of the South-Wales bands we saw while I was living there. I think we ended up watching so many punk and hardcore bands it was so nice to see some balls-out, heavy riffs.

I remember the first time I saw them play the title track of this EP. They hadn't played for a short while and it was possibly a benefit gig. It was certainly upstairs in Clwb. First song of the set, Jimbob had a loop pedal at his feet and looked like he was really enjoying creating the intro. It was possibly the greatest build-up/start to a show I've ever seen; it went on for ages. Then the song just broke ("Skyward! All bees to the sea!") and stayed awesome for the best part of quarter of an hour. Despite the shorter intro, the version on this record is as pleasing.

They eventually put the EP out a while later and I got a copy when we saw them in TJ's in Newport. They were supporting Orange Goblin, who I remember being not as good as I hoped for. Probably because they had to follow Taint. I think half the crowd left with a copy of this under their arms. There was four of us on the train and we all had a copy at least.

It's a lovely little package (although given that it was £9 you feel you deserve it). Four massive songs, one so big it barely even fits on the record. Awesome artwork, lovely yellow vinyl. Amusingly, the first three songs are on "Side Bee" and the title track on "Side Sea". The label on the record then just has a bee on one side and the sea on the other. I like little touches like that. In theory, the record also contained a download card for the four songs and a live show from Roadburn in 2008. However, I drew a short straw and got one that mysteriously had no download inside. A friend later gave me the mp3s and they are pretty good. (At a gig recently I saw the guitarist of a band give out a download code from one of the LPs to someone and put the record back in the middle of the pile. I suspect that's what happened to me.)

Unfortunately for absolutely everyone, Taint decided to call it quits not long later. They played a final show in Swansea which, despite nearly dying trying to drive there in the snow, was incredible and an awesome send off. The first two times I saw them they had their two LPs for sale and I regret not buying them. The cds are fairly easy to come by, but I'm keeping an eye out for the vinyl. I've got lots of time for Taint.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 4
Cost: £9 new
Bought: gig
When: 17/10/09
Colour: yellow
Etching: none
mp3s: yes