Sunday 17 June 2012

Grown Ups - Handholder


When I come to write about More Songs by Grown Ups I will definitely rant endlessly about how gutted I am that I never got to see them (a story with an obvious moral), but I will save that for then. This is the 7" that followed a while afterwards, which I picked up in the same shopping trip as the Fugazi record below.

I love their sound, and they progress that nicely in this four-song ep. The second song Wildlife is certainly more tamed than than earlier songs (a comment I say in a good way), whilst Wigwam and Couch-King sound like they would've been great live. There's less of the group vocals that I enjoyed so much before (they're there at the end of Wellwater but too quietly, and not for long enough), but the mathsy guitar and shouty choruses remain. Maybe I've not listened to it enough, but the songs here don't strike me in the same way the LP did. That said, it still is a great ep, and I would've loved to see how LP number 2 turned out. Oh well.


Format: 7", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 4
Cost: £6 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 22/02/11
Colour: Black
Etching: no
mp3s: download