Monday 31 July 2017

Grappler - Callow


I got this 7" for free, which is always nice. I ordered the Gnarwolves Fun Club double 7" and, if I remember correctly, this 7" was a freebie to sweeten the deal as the double 7" was taking longer to come together than planned. Sounds about right. Not sure if everyone got the same record though.

I think in it's fullest form, this record has a screen-printed b-side and a sleeve. Mine has neither - I guess they had an excess of the 7" and didn't screen-print them all. It's also incredibly warped - I've tried the normal approaches to smooth it out, but with little luck and, eventually, a lack of desire to bother.

Grappler have the sound of a lot of post-hardcore bands of the early 2010's. If I closed my eyes, I could equally believe this was a Goodtime Boys record. It's a fine example of the genre, but ultimately it's a genre that I don't need to spend a whole lot of time listening to; I certainly don't feel the need to expand my collection beyond the few bands I've already tried. The first song, which Discogs tells me is the title-track, Callow, builds up for quite a while but, disappointingly, goes nowhere. It's quite exciting whilst it's building up though. Neon and Trials are much the same, but shorter, which feels like a shame because it was the things they did when trying to make a song last a whole three-and-a-half-minutes that did the most for me.

Format: One-sided 7"
Tracks: 3
Cost: £0 new
Bought: Internet
When: 20/05/13
Colour: Transparent green
Etching: none
mp3s: no