Saturday 18 June 2016

The Sainte Catherines - Dancing for Decadence


I can't fully remember how I came to know about The Sainte Catherines. Given the timing I suspect I was introduced to them, at least by name, by my housemate Nicky (and given that Tom Gabel provides guest vocals here, I'd say that's a certainty). Other factors involved in buying this album were that I was in Damaged Records (so felt I ought to buy something) and that it was only £7.50. I've got a vague feeling that I'd heard at least one song before buying it, so I knew roughly what sort of punk to expect. I think I knew enough about them to know that I'd probably enjoy the album; it was on Fat Wreck Chords, which usually narrows down the sound a little.

Dancing for Decadence is basically a perfectly enjoyable gruff-punk record. It's a bit more Fat Wreck gruff-punk than No Idea gruff-punk (splitting very fine hairs here), but that's OK. I really like the singer's voice and they have some good songs; in fact, side B is where they really shine in my opinion - The Shape of Drunks to Come, I'd Rather Be Part of the Dying Bungee Scene and If There's Black Smoke Over A Bridge, It's Over are all great songs. The latter in particular has the best chorus on the album. The songs are mostly about politics, drinking and being in a band, which is fine by me. I don't have mp3s of the album (it was 2009 and download codes weren't commonplace) so I've not listened to this album a great deal over the years. I've also not kept up with the band at all.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 12
Cost: £7.50 new
Bought: Damaged Records
When: 22/08/09
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no