Sunday 19 June 2016

Kevin Devine & The Goddamn Band - Bubblegum


I meant to write about this record months ago when I wrote about it's sibling, Bulldozer. Somehow I forgot to get around to it.

Like Bulldozer, Bubblegum was a grower for me. I was expecting to enjoy Bulldozer more of the two (the idea of a solo record appealed to me over the full-band one) but Bubblegum made progress quicker. That was no doubt helped by two songs in particular - Private First Class and Bubblegum. The former in particular really grabbed me when I saw Kevin play it live in the Lexington in London a short while after the albums came out. I'd heard the song but definitely not heard it - the meaning had been lost but hit me with full force on that night. The sentiment is excellent and it's one of his best songs of recent years. The title track stands out for it's nice and memorable chorus.

There are other strong songs on the album too - Nobel Prize is a great opener, and Fiscal Cliff and I Can't Believe You are brilliant too. Redbird builds to a fairly dark and heavy outro - it's no Brother's Blood in that respect, but it's a great song. There's something Nirvana-y to it as well. Like Bulldozer, this is on purple glitter vinyl, which looks better than it sounds.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 12
Cost: £13.50 new
Bought: Big Scary Monsters website
When: 23/10/13
Colour: Purple glitter
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code