Wednesday 18 May 2016

November Coming Fire - Dungeness


November Coming Fire were an under-rated metalcore band, at least as far as I could tell. In certain circles this album is considered a classic; in others it's unheard of and I suspect some of the people in those circles would really enjoy it. 

Just after Christmas one year when I was in Cardiff, Hugh gave me a couple of cds - I think he'd acquired some bundle of cds that included Dungeness by November Coming Fire and the State Run discography, both of which he already had copies of. I was happy to take them both, despite not knowing either band.

November Coming Fire are heavier than a lot of bands I listen to - at their quieter moments they sound a bit like Envy; at their heavier they sound like a hardcore band. We were going to a lot of hardcore shows back then and I was starting to appreciate it better as a genre. I always enjoyed Dungeness despite it being so different to what I normally listen to. HMS Blackwater, Argonaut and Mascot are stand-out songs for me. I enjoy the album as a whole, albeit not very often. It's a pleasant surprise to play it and remember how much I enjoy and that I know the songs much better than I ever think I do.

I picked this vinyl copy up in All Ages a few years ago. I definitely felt that for a tenner it'd be rude not to buy it, and as an added bonus it turns out it is on a very nice gold/black splatter (which is apparently one of 250).

Format: 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 12
Cost: £10 new
Bought: All Ages Records
When: 03/10/12
Colour: Gold with black splatter
Etching: none
mp3s: no