Sunday 22 November 2015

The Desert Sessions - Vol III. Set Coordinates for the White Dwarf!!! / Vol IV. Hard Walls and Little Trips


When I first read about The Desert Sessions, one of things I got most excited about (beyond the ridiculous list of musicians) was the artwork for Vol. 3. I still love it. When I bought Vol. 1 & 2, I nearly bought 3 & 4 first just because of that artwork (but I also wanted to hear them in order). Even though it is slightly stretched over 12" rather than 10", it still looks incredible. If this were a legit copy I'd definitely have it in a frame.

Musically, this record did a lot more for me than Vol. 1 & 2. The first two records were stoned jams, but here they recorded actual songs. It's so easy to hear Queens of the Stone Age in these songs, not least because Avon and the great Monster in the Parasol made it onto the first two Queens records. Nova is a great song too. Some of the songs on Vol. 4 were already beginning to tend on the slightly stupid side.

The cover of Vol. 4 has a pen smudge on the top that was there when I bought it, which has always bothered me. Luckily, no one is ever really looking at that side of the record.

Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 9
Cost: £13 new
Bought: Spillers Records
When: 04/11/08
Colour: Orange
Etching: none
mp3s: no