Sunday 11 January 2015

Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime


It's hard to explain quite how much I enjoy Drive Like Jehu. I don't actually listen to them all that often, but when I do I can't think why I don't play them more. Yank Crime is a huge album, filled with moments that fill me with pure joy when I hear them. I certainly consider this to be a classic post-hardcore album, possibly under-rated (at least as far as I can tell, perhaps everyone else loves it too).

I think if I had to list my favourite songs on this album, they'd be Here Come the Rome Plows, Do You Compute and Luau which (on the vinyl version) are the first three songs - it makes for a pretty epic side A. One of the things that sets Drive Like Jehu apart from so many other post-hardcore bands of that era is that they have no qualms about letting a song run on for 7 or 8 minutes, which turns out to be an excellent thing - the intro to Do You Compute is so perfectly stretched out that it's almost taunting you - you know what's going to happen but the song wants you to wait. It's such a pleasing moment on the album. Similarly with Luau - there's no rush to get to that huge chorus, you have to wait. But it's all worth it.

I first heard Yank Crime in 2006 when I got the cd as a Christmas present from my sister. I'd heard about the band and told her I'd quite like one of their albums. Thinking back now, I don't remember what it was I'd read or heard about the band (it was possibly just the Rocket From the Crypt / Hot Snakes connection) but I'm glad I decided to check them out. That was 8 years ago and I still find this album exciting and interesting now.

I'd been meaning to get Yank Crime on vinyl for a while and found this copy in All Ages in Camden last October. I wasn't aware that the order of the songs differed so much between the cd and the LP; not sure why. What it does mean, like I mentioned before, is that the first side of the 12" is pure gold. The last three songs are on a separate 7" and both records are coloured, which is a nice touch.

Format: 12", 7"
Tracks: 9
Cost: £16 new
Bought: All Ages
When: 04/10/14
Colour: Transparent green, transparent blue
Etching: none
mp3s: no