Sunday 31 August 2014

The Twilight Sad - I Became a Prostitute


I often go through periods where I don't really bother buying 7" records, and other periods where I buy them quite a lot. Sometimes they just seem quite expensive when you only really get two songs, one of which is on an album I either own or will end up buying. I can count on one hand the number of times I bothered going through the 7" records in Spillers whilst I lived in Cardiff, but on one of those occasions I found a bunch of records I quite fancied and bought them all. One of the records was this 7" from The Twilight Sad's second album (which either wasn't out yet or I hadn't bought yet).

I'll save the story of how I got into The Twilight Sad for another time, but I quite fancied hearing some new songs of theirs and £3 seemed like a reasonable price to pay for that. I Became a Prostitute is certainly one of the catchier and darker songs on Forget the Night Ahead and makes for a good single (although more because of it's catchiness, not how dark it is). The b-side In the Blackout is slower and less accessible (not that their music is particularly accessible the rest of the time) but not quite so memorable. A nice enough 7", and kept me happy until the new Twilight Sad album came along, but not a forgotten gem in my collection.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3 new
Bought: Spillers Records, Cardiff
When: 08/08/09
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no