Sunday 31 August 2014

Rocket From the Crypt - Shy Fly


A few weeks before Rocket From the Crypt played London last December, a friend sent me a picture of an article she'd seen in the paper saying that Rocket were going to be releasing a tour 7" for each date of their UK tour, each one a cover of a band from that city. Once I saw that, I knew I'd be buying this 7" regardless of what was on it. We got to the gig nice and early (to see The Computers, an excellent choice for a support act) and swung by the merch stand first to get the tour 7". At £5, it's pretty much the most I'm willing to pay for a 7" (especially given that it only has one song) but it's a very nice record to have. Nice one-sided green vinyl, and the sleeve is printed onto a paper sleeve with the title of the song stamped on the relevant part of the UK.

The London band they choose to cover is Status Quo, a band who I've never consciously sought out but I certainly know many songs by. I can't say I've heard the original version of Shy Fly, to the extent that I had to Google it when I got home to find out who it was by. There are plenty of other bands from London I'd sooner hear Rocket cover, but they do an excellent job with this one - the chorus is huge and the piano in the background adds so much. It's a pretty catchy tune and Rocket make it sound like it could be one of their own.

Format: One-sided 7", printed paperr sleeve
Tracks: 1
Cost: £5 new
Bought: gig
When: 06/12/13
Colour: Green
Etching: none
mp3s: no