Sunday 24 August 2014

Jesu - Duchess / Veiled


The third 7" I bought in my three-for-a-tenner offer at the Matador Records stall of the Independent Label Market last year is this Jesu record. I've been a casual fan of Jesu for a few years now, picking up his records whenever I find them (which isn't all that often). I've largely not enjoyed them quite as much as I did his Lifeline EP, but I think I just started on a highlight. They have their moments, but I find that 70 minutes is more bleak showgaze than I can usually handle. I like it, just in smaller doses.

This 7" fits that bill quite nicely, and Veiled is an awesome song. It feels like more of a traditional rock song and it works. Duchess is a cover of The Stranglers, a song which I can't say I've heard the original of. Jesu's take feels more the b-side to Veiled's a-side, but that's just my take on it.

The Matador Singles Club looks like it's produced some pretty awesome records over the years, and they've done a pretty nice job on making them consistent - the cover is whatever the cover would be, but the reverse is always the Singles Club logo. The record itself is a very shocking-pink and has the witty phrase "Singles going home alone" written on the b-side (which works on many levels).

Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3.33 new
Bought: Independent Label Market
When: 13/07/13
Colour: Pink
Etching: none
mp3s: no