Wednesday 11 June 2014

Battles - Dross Glop 4


We've all been there - it's Record Store Day, the shop hasn't had all the records in that you wanted to get and you find yourself thinking "well, I haven't spent as much as I thought I would, maybe I'll see if there's anything else I fancy". I think that's the main reason I own this Battles remix EP. There were a few things that year that Banquet hadn't got in, so I thought spending another £7 on a 12" EP might be a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with this record, but if it wasn't in my collection I don't think I'd be too upset. At the time I thought it might be neat to have all four EPs in the Dross Glop series (the remixes of Battles second album Gloss Drop) but I never got round to buying the others. I never even got round to buying Gloss Drop itself. I've seen Battles a bunch of times and quite enjoy their first album Mirrored, but I've just lost enthusiasm for them entirely. I'm not sure why. Maybe I got caught up in all the excitement when Mirrored came out, but just didn't care that much.

I'm not sure what to say about these songs. I can't say how they compare to the originals, but if the originals sound much like these I'd say Battles took a very different direction on LP2. I know that one of the remixes in the series was done by the main guy from Boredoms, which could be interesting. Sadly, that isn't on this 12". The third song here features Gary Numan, which is something no song really needs. I'm still quite shocked that this record isn't on yellow vinyl. Seems like the most natural colour given that sleeve.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 3
Cost: £5.11 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 21/04/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no