Monday 12 May 2014

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Jukebox Explosion: Rockin' Mid-90's Punkers!


I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of this record. I've tried, but it just doesn't do much for me. There are moments that I kinda enjoy (the saxophone on Son of Sam, Down Low, Do Ya Wanna Get It) but there are others that are just plain unpleasant on the ears (Showgirl, Train #1). I've tried, but The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion aren't for me.

I picked up this collection of JSBE singles in Spillers during the Tuesday-record-from-Spillers year in what I assume was a fairly poor week selection-wise. I must have been taken in by the amusing cover and bargain price and a desire to give Jon Spencer a second try. Some years beforehand I'd found a JSBE cd in the sale in MVC in Winchester (which had always proved very fruitful in the past). I can't even remember which album it was, but it was a fiver and I'd heard the name so figured it was worth a shot. I didn't get the band then and I don't now. So I did something I've rarely ever done - I returned the cd. Part of it was that I wanted my fiver back, but it was mostly because I knew I wouldn't listen to it and thought someone else might get more enjoyment out of it. That Tuesday in Spillers, I guess I thought my musical tastes had progressed to the point where I could enjoy JSBE, but they hadn't. Six years later and they still haven't. I even saw them play at Jeff Mangum's ATP but they either made no impression or I was too tired to remember (they played at 1.30am) because I have no memory of it. They can't all be winners I suppose.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 18
Cost: £10.50 new
Bought: Spillers Records
When: 29/04/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no