Wednesday 14 May 2014

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Jukebox 7")


Having bought The Masses Against the Classes on a white-label, jukebox 7", when I saw similar copies of If You Tolerate This... and The Everlasting on eBay I thought I might as well pick them up too. There's not a great deal to say about this record as there's not much to it. Both sides play the same again.

But what about the song (I tend not to dwell on particular songs too much here normally)? If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next was a pivotal song in my youth - I was aware of the Manics prior to its release having seen videos for A Design For Life and Everything Must Go on Top of the Pops a few years beforehand - but this single came at a time when I was ready to pay them more attention. Whilst musically the song comes across a bit soft, the lyrics were still angry and fascinating for a young teenager. I guess I was at that age where my musical taste could have gone any direction (although I'm pretty sure my dad's Sabbath, Floyd and Zeppelin records had already begun steering me towards rock), so it really hit at the right time. One of the other things that draw me in was the video that accompanied it - that eyeless family playing in the sand and blood - it was appropriately weird to suggest that this band really had some depth to them; a hint of something more. The whole package acted as a teaser to younger-me, and one that proved pretty significant.

Format: 7", white label jukebox single
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3.75 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 21/02/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no