Friday 18 October 2013

The Shitty Limits - Beware the Limits


I saw The Shitty Limits at least once. They were one of those bands I was convinced I'd seen more times than just once, but the one time I do remember seeing them was really good, so I wonder why I'd not had that thought before. I think I'd seen their name on listings for gigs I was planning on going to, then didn't make it to. That might explain my confusion. Plus, I saw a lot of hardcore bands when I lived in Wales.

Sadly, my attempts to document all the gigs I've been to have been far less successful than my attempts to document my record collection and, with that in mind, I have no idea when it was that I saw The Shitty Limits. It was definitely in Le Pub, and after a bit of internet research, I reckon it was this gig with Death is Not Glamorous, Harbour and The Human Race. Hugh was playing in The Human Race and I quite enjoyed Harbour, so I'm pretty certain I would have been there. Anyway, the main reason I remembered seeing The Shitty Limits that night and why they stuck in my mind quite so much was the way the singer moved around the stage. Have you ever seen The Muppets when they get really excited and they just shake the puppet wildly and the head flaps around like crazy? Well, that's what the singer looked like. On top of that they were great fun. Imagine a hardcore version of The Hives (especially on Your Limits Are My Limits).

Anyway, fast forward four years and I finally bought their LP (which plays at 45 rpm, naturally). Bedford Falls had a new album coming out on Boss Tuneage Records and I decided to see what else was in the distro. In the end I got both Bedford Falls albums for a fiver each, a split by The Magnificent and Noise by Numbers and this LP. For £5 it would have been rude not to. It's a nice record. I always found hardcore records good for those times when you need to get a bunch of things done quickly and the pace here never drops.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 12
Cost: £5 new
Bought: Boss Tuneage distro
When: 03/08/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no