Sunday 13 January 2013

Glassjaw - Cosmopolitan Bloodloss


I was a fan of Glassjaw from the first time I heard them, which was when Kerrang! put Pretty Lush on their free Devil's Music Volume 1 cd (I've already mentioned that compilation and how many bands it got me into here). I bought their debut Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence shortly afterwards and so, whilst there were some dubious choices back in those early days of getting into music, there are at least some choices I was glad I made. I'd also heard When One Eight Becomes Two Zeros on a Rock Sound cd so had no problems chancing £13 on a cd when I was 16. I picked up Worship and Tribute when that came out too and enjoyed it only slightly less than the first (a controversial statement for some). A few months later the 7" of Cosmopolitan Bloodloss came out and Hugh picked me up a copy on a trip to Southampton, which he gave to me as a Christmas present. How kind.

Anyway, here is that 7". The a-side is still a great Glassjaw song and one of the highlights of their second album. The b-side El-Mark is great too, in fact I'd even say better than some of the songs that made it onto the album. Definitely worth a listen. There was a while in the early 2000's where big American bands didn't seem to bother with b-sides, so it's always nice to have an actual song, especially from a band who aren't know for releasing records very often.

I found stuffed inside the sleeve of this record one of my tickets to see Glassjaw at The Garage in October of  2002, a gig that never happened. The original show was postponed three times due to Daryl's illness - one of which was the day I discovered The Paperchase and another was the day after an experiment I took part in at college on the effects of staying awake all night (so I wouldn't have been in much of a state for that show anyway) - and by the time it was actually cancelled it had been so long since we ordered the tickets they couldn't refund us. So Hugh and I were £13 down each and still hadn't seen Glassjaw. Luckily however they've played a lot of shows in the UK in the five or so years since and I've seen them a whole bunch of times, including a show a five minute walk from my old house in Cardiff which more than made up for it.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: Gift
Bought: Gift
When: 18/12/02
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no