Wednesday 14 November 2012

Black Eyes - Cough


It's a controversial statement, but it's true: Black Eyes are my favourite Dischord band. There are lots of great bands on that label and of course I love Fugazi, but Black Eyes put out two records that sound like nothing else I've ever heard. Deformative on the self-titled album is one of my all-time favourite songs and if I ever find that album on vinyl I'll rant about it on here suitably.

In my first year of university I was living in halls and met a lot of people from a lot of different places. One of those people was a guy called Kevin from America who had a very interesting taste in music. He once recommended a few bands to me, but the only one I remembered was Black Eyes and somehow two full years passed without me checking them out but at the same time not forgetting about the recommendation. Anyway, just after new year in 2006 I was in Brighton visiting some friends and headed into town to pick up some records. I found Cough in Punker Bunker (a shop that you're guaranteed to find something you'll like in if you like punk music) and decided to chance my £9 on a recommendation that had somehow stuck in my mind. I imagine I was a bit taken aback at first by the noise I was greeted with, but I quickly found myself loving it.

Black Eyes consisted of two vocalists, two drummers, bass, guitar and some of the most pained and strained horn noises you've ever heard, and the combination works perfectly. Fathers and Daughters and Holy of Holies are both great examples of how well Daniel's and Hugh's voices work together, and the contrast when Daniel starts singing on Drums is great. I also love False Positive for how the singing matches the beat and for what the trumpets add to the song, as well as A Meditation with its crazed barking. I can see how Black Eyes might be too spazzy for most (they're definitely un-easy listening) but I think they're great.

As is often the case, Kevin has no idea that his recommendation worked out so well; 2004 was long before Facebook and you had no need to know someone's surname back then, so we've long lost contact. Still, I'm pretty pleased with the result. Everyone has their list of bands they'd love to reunite and see play. I'm doing pretty well at seeing the bands on my list, but Black Eyes remains on there and, sadly, I suspect will for a long time yet.


Format: 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £9 new
Bought: Punker Bunker, Brighton
When: 11/01/06
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "Mystic bro lives" Side B: "vegansteven @ hotmail.com"
mp3s: no