Monday 15 October 2012

The Paper Chase + Will Johnson - Split


This is a record I picked up about a year after I first heard The Paper Chase (a story you can read all about here). I was putting in a large order with Interpunk (the more you buy, the cheaper the postage!) and saw this one on there. "Punk" wouldn't be the first genre I'd put either artist into, but it's a flexible term, not to mention I think Interpunk works a bit like an uber-distro. Anyway, I was keen to hear more by The Paper Chase, so added it to the basket.

A split in what I consider to be the classic sense, both cover a song by the other. I'd never heard of Will Johnson at the time, nor heard The Riot Jack, but enjoyed it anyway. It was certainly less dark than what I'd come to expect from John Congleton and co, and more sparse, relying mostly on a drum beat, strings and John's strained vocals. A good listen, and not just collection-fodder.

On the b-side however, was a song I knew - I Did a Terrible Thing - the opener to The Paper Chase's second album Hide the Kitchen Knives. Will's take on this is to make it into a lovely, lengthy, almost country song. With a harmonica taking over from the strings on the album version, you hardly even notice the rather twisted theme of the lyrics. This turned out to be the highlight of the record for me. After hearing it, I did some research, picked up a couple of Centro-Matic's albums, and became a fan. In November I finally get to see him live, which I'm looking forward to greatly (in The Union Chapel, no less - one of my favourite venues). Some time ago, he was due to play with Jason Molina in my teenage-haunt The Railway, but the show got cancelled and Jason Molina sadly disappeared into rehab for a few years.

Anyway, it just dawned on me that after all these years, I've still not heard the original of The Riot Jack. I tried to find it at the time, but the internet was a very different place in 2004. However, modern technology prevails and in another tab I have open Centro-Matic's soundcloud page with Will's 2002 original. It's almost strange hearing it after so many years of only knowing The Paper Chase's version. Listening to it now, it's similarly sparse, but haunting and sweet, and completely different to The Paper Chase's take on it.

So, all in all, a great record both musically, and for where it led me.


Format: 7",
Tracks: 2
Cost: £5.56 new
Bought: Interpunk
When: 06/11/04
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no