Friday 21 September 2012

Max Richter - Infra



Anyone who's read this blog even once will know what sort of music I generally listen to. The one thing almost all of my records have in common is a guitar of some sort; there's often vocals (rarely sung, sometimes shouted) and usually drums (ideally hard-hit and heavy). Most of my new discoveries come from what I find in the racks at Banquet Records, or what I see on-stage at All Tomorrow's Parties. This record, sitting somewhere between classical and electronica, may then look a little out of place amongst the rest of my vinyl (despite being on the same label as Frightened Rabbit and The Twilight Sad), but it's so incredible I'm very glad it's here.

I was recommended Infra independently my a good friend and by my girlfriend at the time (although I have no idea how either of them first heard of it). They both knew what sort of music I was into but figured I'd enjoy it anyway, and they were both right. After the second recommendation I gave it a listen and was amazed. I really know nothing at all about classical music (and I imagine a lot of it is incredible if you give it enough time) so I have no idea how this stands up against some of the greats, but it's a truly awesome piece of music. Moving and overwhelming violins are sat next to modern electronic beeps and noises, and who knew the two would be such good friends. Roughly half of the album is the eight movements of Infra and the other half Journey, although not always playing in order. I've never sat down and listened just to the pieces from one or the other, as they work fantastically as they are. For me the highlights are Infra 3 and Infra 5, both songs that demand your full attention, but at the same time are hypnotic.

I had the pleasure of Max Richter perform Infra at Cadogan Hall a few months after hearing the record, which was a great experience. Alongside the music was an animated backdrop that was used in the original ballet, and also for the album cover. The only downside was that I'd just returned from holiday and was a bit jet-lagged. The seats were so comfy and the music was so lovely, that I did fall asleep a little (although I stress that I mean that to be a compliment to the music!) However, I've just booked tickets to see him again in the Barbican in October, for which I will be well-rested. There's a performance of Infra, along with Vivaldi Recomposed, which sounds intriguing. I may brush up on my Vivaldi beforehand.

Given my usual musical tastes, I can't really say what it is about this record that makes me love it so much, other than the music itself. I think I like it for the same reasons I like bands like Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed and The Dirty Three. Sometimes it's nice to broaden your horizons and try other types of music.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 13
Cost: £12.50 new
Bought: Fat Cat Records website
When: 13/01/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download