Wednesday 25 July 2012

Thursday - Full Collapse



I spent a while earlier trying to remember how I first came to hear Thursday, but couldn't quite place it. I ignored that and wrote most of what's below, but just as I was finishing this post it all came back to me, so here's that story: I'd been to Southampton one Saturday afternoon and bumped into a friend from college who was with a friend of hers handing out gig flyers. One of the flyers was for The Movielife, Thursday and some other band in The Joiners. I think I'd bought White Pony by Deftones on a lovely double vinyl that day and my friend's friend compared Thursday to Deftones, and a couple of other bands. I don't entirely agree with the comparison now, but took the flyer and ended up going to the show and had a great time. The Joiners is about the size of my bedroom and was packed and sweaty that night. Both Thursday and The Movielife were excellent and the crowd lapped it up. The first band may have been ok or not, or maybe I just arrived late; I have no memory of them whatsoever (I just had a quick Google, but to no luck).

Anyway, a short while later Full Collapse came out and a short while after that I got a copy on cd. I guess I knew it was a classic from the off, because only a few months later I bought the vinyl on eBay for £18, which was even more money back then. It was from this seller on eBay who had all these great records by very exciting bands that we were just getting into, and I remember buying a lot from his store. Dead Format reckons it's the third pressing and, as is often the case, the most numerous run (/1050). Banquet recently got it back in stock, and I felt quite smug that I had it from the start (nearly).

Like I said, the album is a classic. Almost all my favourite Thursday songs are here. Nicely sandwiched between two instrumental book-ends, you get ten unfaltering, aggressive post-hardcore/screamo songs, each one as good as the two either side of it. Understanding in a Car Crash, Cross Out the Eyes and Paris in Flames are all highlights.

What made me love this album even more was seeing Thursday again last April. I'd seen them a few times between then and that first time with The Movielife, but my gig-buddy Sarah hadn't seen them at all and was very excited. However, two songs into the show I became the one who was very excited as Geoff announced it had been 10 years since Full Collapse came out and that they were going to play the album in full that night (actually, at first I felt really old, then very excited). Understanding broke and I spent the 40 or so minutes that followed jumping around like I was 16 rather than 26. I hadn't had that much fun at a gig in ages; it's no longer usual to come home drenched in sweat and covered in bruises, but that night it was. I remember using the intro to Autobiography of a Nation to catch my breath before going back to screaming all the words. It was an awesome night. I'm a sucker for these "playing albums in full" shows and to see one of your favourite albums as a complete surprise was incredible.

Some time later last year Thursday announced they were going their separate ways and, whilst I was sad, I was so pleased I'd seen them play Full Collapse, an album I've loved for more years than I care to think about. Here are some stats (from some lists I made over the years) in case you needed convincing further about how much I adore this album: Top 50 Albums of the 2000's - #15; Top 10 Gigs of 2011 - #4.

Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 12
Cost: £18
Bought: eBay
When: 16/12/03
Colour: Transparent orange
Etching: none
mp3s: no