Thursday 7 June 2012

Caves - Homeward Bound


There are a lot of great punk-rock bands in the UK at the moment. Bands that tour constantly, playing little sweaty shows to 50 people who know all the words and buy all the records. I spend a lot of time going to those shows and I always have a good time. Caves are one of the core bands in this scene as far as I'm concerned. The first time I saw them was supporting The Doublecross in Cardiff but I've lost count how many times I've seen them since; they get some pretty good support slots and I've ended up seeing bigger bands because Caves were supporting.

When they released their LP Homeward Bound, I made sure to pick it up fairly soon after. I bought this on my first trip to Banquet after moving to Kingston (along with a RVIVR LP). The tunes are catchy, as I knew they would be. One of the most noticeable things is that there's a lot of repetition (with slight changes) in the lyrics, and the other being the large amounts of "woahs" and "ohs" (I remember one of the guys from Above Them joking about the "Caves LP drinking game" - a drink for every "woah-oh"!). But these are the staples of Caves songs it seems and I like them. I think I'm Not Sorry is my favourite both live and on the record. Water Wings is pretty awesome too. It's a good record, but with songs as great as theirs they'd have had a hard job to make a bad one.

I'm always pleased that these bands get to play so often and make these records. They work hard for it. I may not know many of the people at the shows, but it is a lovely scene full of bands who all adore playing and listening to each others music.


Format: 12", A3(ish) poster insert
Tracks: 13
Cost: £10 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 11/08/11
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no