Sunday 17 June 2012

The Bouncing Souls + Hot Water Music - Split


If I had to pick my favourite Bouncing Souls song, I'd almost certainly say True Believers and, depending on the day, there's a good chance I'd pick Wayfarer as my favourite HWM song. Those two reasons make this split very exciting: the two bands covering my favourite song of each other's. I missed the first press when Banquet got it in (I didn't have £6 to spend on a 7" at the time), but picked up one of the second press soon after it came out. It really is quite awesome.

Hearing Wayfarer without the gruff vocals is a bit odd at first, but that song is all about the "woah-oh-ohs" and The Bouncing Souls nail it (the first time I saw HWM was when I really discovered how awesome this song was, having foolishly neglected my copy of Caution a bit). I nearly get out of breathe listening to Chuck sing the opening to True Believers but love it almost as much as the original. Everything sounds slightly heavier and it works.

I've since seen both bands play the covers live (Bouncing Souls instore at Banquet, and HWM at Reading) which was also pretty special. The great thing about this split is that I imagine almost all fans of one band are fans of the other, so it's a real treat. The colour is pretty nice too.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £6 new
Bought: Banquet
When: 18/03/11
Colour: Black and red splatter
Etching: no
mp3s: no