Tuesday 17 April 2012

Failures' Union - In What Way


I've been meaning to start this for ages, so I'm going to start here with the record that's already on my turntable. I hadn't listened to it for ages, not for any particular reason. I bought it the first time I saw them (in the Fighting Cocks in Kingston), so there's no exciting story of browsing through a record shop here. I also picked up the split they did with Bedford Falls that night.

I went to see them mostly because a few people I know raved about them, and also because I'd seen Bedford Falls before and knew they were cool. Anyway, before the show I downloaded the sampler FU had on their website and the standout track on there was The Fall Man. I'm a sucker for female backing vocals. I eventually bought the other record they had out at the time, but I think I prefer this one. The songs are nice, short opener setting the scene, tune after tune afterwards, slow+moody finisher. The Fall Man is still my favourite. I regret a little listening to the sampler so much because those songs stand out in front of the others. Although it might be their fault for not giving me a download card with the record - pretty sure this would have got heavy rotation on the mp3 player/office hifi.

As for the record itself, it was the first (and currently only) record I bought that was a two-colour split. For some unknown reason they chose black and grey, which given the possibilities seems a bit dull. Then again the sleeve is all black and white (with some glossy windows inside) so maybe it's intentional. Also, I'm colour-blind so the grey could be any colour really. You can kinda see it in the picture. Nice gatefold sleeve with lyrics.

So it's a good record. I saw them play live again about a year and a half later. I wish I'd made more of an effort to learn some words. Oh well.

Format: 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 12
Cost: £8 new
Bought: gig
When: 11/04/10
Colour: black and grey split
Etching: none
mp3s: no