Friday 27 April 2012

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run



A free record! What a treat. A friend I used to work with bought a house and in the attic found a hold-all full of old vinyl. Knowing my obsessive love of vinyl, he brought the bag into work for me to have a browse and take whatever caught my fancy. There was probably 50 LPs in there, but the majority weren't to my taste. And a lot were just shit. Still, I managed to pull five decent records out of there, this being one of them (the first good one I found too, if memory serves me correctly). Given that they were stored in a hold-all in an attic, the sleeves were all a bit beaten, but the vinyl was largely very clean. This one still has the £4.49 price sticker on the front - it amuses me to think of the original owner going record shopping back in the 70's and getting this. That said, I just checked the internet and it reckons £4.49 then is the equivalent of about £25 now, so maybe it wasn't the 70's.

I'd never given much thought to Springsteen until I was living in Cardiff and everyone I knew seemed to rave about him. I still only have two albums, this one and Nebraska (on CD). I like the music, I'm probably going to pick up a Best Of and be done with it though. His back-catalogue is pretty lengthy and I just don't have that much time. Tunes-a-plenty on this one though. Strong starters on both side 1 and 2 (it's not often you get that - all the hits on Side 1 doesn't give me much incentive to turn over, although maybe I shouldn't need incentive). A good High Fidelity style list would be albums with great starters on both sides. Backstreets is a great song, in fact, there aren't any songs I don't like on it. Maybe there is space in my collection for more than two Springsteen LPs.

Format: 12", gatefold
Tracks: 8
Cost: free second hand
Bought: Gunnar's attic
When: 25/03/09
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no